This is the meta-rules about how the setting and campaign works. For the custom in game rules, see Custom rules
Voyagers: The West Marches is a "common oneshot setting" – many diverse groups can play sessions in the same shared world. While the West Marches started out a a set of interaction one-shot adventures with some recurring characters it has since evolved into longer sessions to accommodate more interesting longer adventures.
Here are the rules for Voyagers:
- You are an adventurer because you feel a strong call in your bones to adventure. The boredom of a calm life doesn't appeal to you – you are driven to leave behind the safety of civilization and explore the wilds to make your name. Regardless of what drives you, you are driven. You choose where to go and what to do. There will be a handful of obvious choices, but you don't by any means need to take them. The adventure is in your hands.
- Players can suggest or join sessions on an at-will basis. There is no assumed set party – characters can adventure in many different groups.
- Each session is presumed to be self-contained. Players venture into the wild, find or are found by adventure, and return home each session.
- New characters start at level 1. Characters keep whatever gold and XP they earn from session to session, and characters may (until further notice) group with other characters of any level.
- Every character starts each session in Backwater. If characters have not returned home by the end of the session, they automatically return after play has ended.
- Exceptions from this rule is frequently made to accommodate longer adventures spanning over multiple sessions.
- Players are penalized a cost of 1GP/Lvl per mile they must travel back home after the end of a session.
- The world of the Voyagers persists beyond each session. If players have made a change in one session, other players will see that change if they follow the same path in a later session.
- The town of Backwater is, for whatever reason, safe. Adventure is found beyond civilization's edge. Characters can rest here between sessions and come to no harm. Likewise, there is nothing of interest for you back in the mainland. Adventure is found in the wilds beyond.
|Custom rules - The Rules - Downtime - Travel Rules - Inspiration - Major Quests and Adventuring Motivation|
|Notice Board - Player Orientation - Players - Magic Items - Races and Classes - Character Statistics|